Director of the Institute of Human Genetics, Polish Academy of Sciences (IHG PAS) announces an open competition for the position of an adjunct (post-doc) in the Department of Reproductive Biology and Stem Cells.
The competition is open to persons who meet the conditions set out in the Act of 30 April 2010 on the Polish Academy of Sciences (Journal of Laws of 2016, item 572, as amended), the Regulations for conducting competitions for scientific positions at the Institute of Human Genetics, Polish Academy of Sciences in Poznan and Regulations on the mode of granting financial resources for the completion of tasks funded by the National Science Centre (Narodowe Centrum Nauki, NCN) as regards research projects, post- doctoral fellowships and doctoral scholarships.
I General information
- Institution announcing the competition: Institute of Human Genetics PAS
- City: Poznań
- Position: postdoc (adjunct)
- Discipline: medical biology
- Number of vacancies: 1
- Planned remuneration: 7,000 gross per month, full time employment temporary contract for 24 months.
- Deadline for documents submission: 19th December 2018
- Address to which documents should be submitted: in person or via registered e-mail to Institute of Human Genetics PAS, ul. Strzeszyńska 32, 60-479 Poznań or by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Link: http://igcz.poznan.pl/en/open-positions
- Keywords: muscular dystrophy, stem cells, genome editing
- Department in which the candidate would work: Department of Reproductive Biology and Stem Cells
- A concise description of the scientific research:
The competition concerns the NCN OPUS 13 project “Genetically corrected autologous myogenic cells, associated with nanocapsules as the next generation formula for treatment of Duchenne disease’”.
The candidate will participate in the interdisciplinary research related to the search for a modern therapeutic tool to treat Duchenne disease. The research will include: advanced molecular techniques, in-vitro cultures of myogenic cells from patients with dystrophy, iPS cells. In addition, the project includes pluripotential cell differentiation, genetic modification, genome editing and animal testing.
II Requirements for candidates
- A Ph.D. degree in chemistry, biology, physics or related sciences.
- Postdoctoral experience of at least 2 years in the field of pluripotent cell culture
- Ability to cultivate pluripotent cells and differentiate in mezodermal direction
- Ability to design viral vectors and experience in performing stable and transient genetic modifications
- Knowledge of basic molecular biology techniques
- Fluent oral and written English language skills
- Completed training in small animal imaging will be an additional advantage
III Required documents
- An application for employment with an address and contact details (email, telephone),
- A scan or a photocopy of the university diploma,
- A scan or a photocopy of a degree (if applicable),
- A scan or a photocopy of a scientific title diploma (if applicable),
- A list of publications, in particular from the last 5 years of the candidate’s scientific work (after accounting for deduction of breaks in scientific work), list of patents/ patent applications, implementations or implementation projects (if applicable),
- Information on number of citations (without self-citations), Hirsch index and the number of years effectively worked in science (after deduction of breaks) (if applicable),
- Number of research projects (also application ones) manged by the candidate or in which the candidate was the PI/ main contractor together with 1-3 main publications as project results or other measurable results of the project (if applicable),
- At least one opinion of an independent researcher, who is a specialist in a given field described in the announcement,
- A self-presentation containing information about scientific interests, current achievements, participation in research projects and description of own research projects, not exceeding 3 500 printing characters (max. 1 A4 page),
- Consent to the processing of personal data of the Candidate for the purposes of the competition (click here)
- The Candidate’s statement concerning familiarity with the Regulations for conducting competitions for scientific positions at the Institute of Human Genetics, Polish Academy of Sciences in Poznan (click here)
- The Candidate’s statement that in case of winning the competition, the Institute of Human Genetics, Polish Academy of Sciences will be his main place of work (click here)
IV Criteria for the evaluation of candidates
- Creativity measured by the quality and number of scientific publications in which the candidate is the first author, corresponding author, or significant author, together with patent applications/patents and/or implementations.
- Mobility in their scientific career (including completed academic internships, change of scientific profile, internships and work in industry).
- The number of citations of the candidate’s publications, especially those in which the candidate is the first author, corresponding author or significant author.
- Creativity measured by the quality and number of managed research projects.
- An opinion of an independent researcher (R3-R4).
- Breaks in scientific work and the indicated achievements of the Candidate converted into effective years of scientific work
V Announcement of results
Up to 30 days after the deadline of documents submission. Selected candidates can be invited for an interview. Each candidate will be individually informed of the results of the competition in relation to him/herself. Information on the winner of the competition will be published on the Institute’s website.
VI Planned period of employment: 1st January, 2019 – 31st December, 2020
VII Appeal procedure: Candidates who have been negatively evaluated by the Competition Commission have the right to appeal against the results of the The appeal is submitted to the Director of the Institute within 7 days from the date of receipt of negative feedback from the Competition Commission. The decision of the Director of the Institute is final.
VIII Additional information:
- Regulations on the mode of granting financial resources for the completion of tasks funded by the National Science Centre (Narodowe Centrum Nauki, NCN) as regards research projects, post- doctoral fellowships and doctoral scholarships is available on website: https://www.ncn.gov.pl/ogloszenia/konkursy/opus13
- A post-doc type position is to be understood as a full-time position, planned by the project’s principal investigator for a person at the beginning of their career in research, who has obtained their doctorate degree within 7 years of joining the project. This period does not include i.a. breaks related to maternity leave.
- A person at a post-doc type post may be paid a salary from the pool allocated for full-time salaries pursuant to a full-time contract of employment at a research post as long as they meet all of the following conditions:
a) at the time of receiving this remuneration, they are not receiving any other remuneration paid in any form from the resources of NCN;
b)the principal investigator in the project has not been a thesis supervisor/auxiliary thesis supervisor of their doctorate;
c) has been selected by means of the open competition procedure
d) in the period of receiving the salary they are not receiving any other remuneration pursuant to another contract of employment with any employer.
e) the funding for their employment shall not exceed PLN 120 K per annum
- Contact: Prof. Maciej Kurpisz, email@example.com