- [2/2021/IGC/PSD] Announcement concerning recruitment to the Poznań Doctoral School of the Institutes of the Polish Academy of Sciences (PDS IPAS) as part of a research project
The Director of the Institute of Human Genetics, Polish Academy of Sciences (IHG PAS),
and leader of the current research project, Prof. dr hab. Maciej Kurpisz PhD
gives notice of an open competition to be held for the position of
PhD student-scholarship holder at the Poznan Doctoral School of Institutes PAS,
Department of Reproductive Biology and Stem Cells IHG PAS
Number of vacancies: 1
I. General information
- Department in which candidate would work: Department of Reproductive Biology and Stem Cells
- Discipline: Medical Science
- Planned remuneration: scholarship to the value of about 3800 PLN net/ per month
- Deadline for submission of documents: 8.04.2021
- Date of announcement: 8.03.2021 r
- The proposed study will be carried out within the OPUS 19 no 2020/37/B/NZ5/00549
PI – Prof. dr hab. Maciej Kurpisz, MD PhD
Project title: ‘Systematic genomic search for novel genes/variants in consanguineous families including males with reproductive failure’
Concise description of research:
Infertility worldwide indicates the value of approx. 1/5 of married couples aiming to conceive. Still little is known about the genetic causes of infertility, which until recently, due to the technical limitations and lack of knowledge cannot uncover mechanisms leading to impaired spermatogenesis. There is a significant proportion of so-called idiopathic infertility cases in males (approx. 50%) which is understandable when accounting more than 2,000 genes taking part in spermatogenesis alone. Impaired spermatogenesis is often non treatable. Furthermore, non-identified reasons of infertility hamper new therapeutic options that may arise from genetic engineering and/or genomic editing. Identified new variants within this Project will form the basis for a diagnostic molecular platform effective for determination the reason of infertility. Such platform may be used by public and private clinics dealing with infertility treatment. We propose to use NGS techniques (whole genome sequencing WGS, RNA sequencing RNA-seq) to detect causative variants in samples from large consanguineous families, incl. fertile vs. infertile male members existing within such families.
Keywords: spermatogenesis, male infertility, azoospermia, whole genome sequencing
Predicted tasks in the project:
– active participation in the realization of project goals
– presenting results at seminars and conferences, participation in writing scientific papers
– supervision of students.
– work in an international research team, highly experienced in many molecular and cellular methodologies, and enthusiastic about conducting scientific research
– participation in research training, international conferences and workshops
II. Requirements for candidates
- Master’s degree in molecular biology, biotechnology, genetics, medicine or related field.
- Background in molecular biology.
- Experience in RNA, DNA, and molecular biology techniques (extraction, PCR, qPCR)
- The bioinformatic skills and cytogenetic basis will be an advantage
- Very good written and oral communication skills in English.
- Motivation and enthusiasm about working in the field of science
- Good collaborative and team work skills.
III. Required documents
- CV, including research achievements.
- Cover letter.
- A copy of the diploma confirming completion of a Master’s Studies Programme, or a certificate of their completion (in the case of diplomas issued by foreign institutions , the diploma referred to in article 326 para.2 point 2 or article 327 para. 2 of the Act of 20 July 2018 – Law on Higher Education and Science (Journal of Laws of 2018, item 1668 as amended), giving the right to apply for a doctoral degree in the country in which the University of Higher Education issuing the diploma operates. If the candidate does not have the above-mentioned documents, s/he is obliged to provide them before being admitted to Poznań Doctoral School IPAS. More information about foreign diplomas is available at: https://nawa.gov.pl/uznawalnosc/kontynuacja-nauki-w-polsce/studia-doktoranckie-i-otwieranie-przewodow-doktorskich.
- Contact details of at least one current supervisor or other researcher who has previously agreed to issue an opinion about the candidate. The opinion should not be included in the application.
- Consent for the processing of candidate’s personal data for the purposes of the recruitment process: http://bip.igcz.poznan.pl/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Zgoda-rekrutacja-Consent_for_the_processing.pdf
- Application for admission to the Poznań Doctoral School IPAS, together with a consent to the processing of personal data for the purposes of the recruitment procedure plus a statement on his/her familiarity with recruitment regulations for the Poznań Doctoral School (Application is available on: http://igcz.poznan.pl/en/phd-studies/poznan-doctoral-school-of-institutes-of-pas/recruitment-regulations-for-psd-ipan/)
- Certificates or other documents indicating level of English language proficiency, if the candidate possesses any.
IV. Criteria for the evaluation of candidates
- Candidate’s scientific and professional experience based on his/her participation in conferences, workshops, training courses and internships; participation in research and commercial projects; involvement in scientific societies and associations; international and professional mobility; experience in other sectors, including industry
- Background in molecular biology
- Candidate’s scientific achievements, based on study grades, scientific and popular science publications, scholarships; prizes and awards resulting from research carried out; student activity or other achievements
- Communication skills in English.
V. Announcement of results
Up to 30 days after the deadline of documents submission. Selected candidates will be invited for interview.
VI. Additional conditions
- Period of involvement in research project: 48 months
- A condition of involvement in the project is participation in the International Doctoral School at IGC PAN (after passing the recruitment procedure). Details of the studies are available on http://igcz.poznan.pl/en/scientific-activity/phd-studies). Fulfillment of requirements as set out in the Regulations for Granting Scholarships in Research Grants Financed by the National Research Center are available on (https://www.ncn.gov.pl/sites/default/files/pliki/uchwaly-rady/2019/uchwala25_2019-zal1_ang.pdf).
VII. Additional information
Address to which documents should be submitted, in person or by registered mail: Institute of Human Gentics PAS, ul. Strzeszyńska 32, 60-479 Poznań with postscript [2/2021/IGC/PSD] or by e-mail to the Secretary for Scientific Purposes, email@example.com. In the title please include the number of the announcement: [2/2021/IGC/PSD]
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Once the recruitment process is finished, unsuccessful candidates will be informed about the scores they have obtained at each step of evaluation.
Refusal of admission to PDS IPAS takes place by way of an administrative decision. The candidate is entitled to submit a request for reconsideration of the decision to the director of the institute concerned.