- Timetable of the lecture “Philosophy with elements of ethics” – summer semester 2021/2022 (optional)
- SYLLABUS of the lecture”Philosophy with elements of ethics” – summer semester 2021/2022 (optional)
Philosophy with elements of ethics
summer semester 2021/2022 (optional, online)
Lecture will be held Wednesday’s in online mode
|Organisational issues: material overview and final requirements.
Introduction to basic philosophical vocabulary and history of the development of philosophical thought 3h
|Philosophy in practice – what does philosophy deal with today? 2h
|Can science be politically neutral? A dispute of empiricism and rationalism. 2h
|Philosophy of medicine: reductionism and anti-reductionism in medicine. 2h|
|The problem with reference classes: on the example of using the category of race in biomedical research. 2h
|Introduction to bioethics 1 – the category of fairness in biomedical research. 2h
|Introduction to bioethics 2 – discussions. 2h
Summer semester 2021/2022
(Lecture will be held online Wednesdays starting on 02 March 2022)
|Course||Philosophy with elements of ethics|
|Institute of Human Genetics
Polish Academy of Sciences
Strzeszyńska Street, 32
|The expected effects of teaching in terms of: knowledge, skills and social qualifications||Ph. D. student is supposed to:
1.Gain knowledge in several aspects of philosophy, especially bioethics and philosophy of science.
In particular, the following specific topics will be elaborated:
– basic philosophical vocabulary
– the history of the development of philosophical thought
– practical philosophy
– dispute of empiricism and rationalism
– definitions of the term “truth”
– philosophy of physics and philosophy of biology as two different paradigms
– reductionism and anti-reductionism in philosophy of medicine
– formulating reference classes that relate to social categories (on the example of the use of racial categories in biomedical research).
– the category of fairness in biomedical research.
2. Get familiar with contemporary philosophical discussions.
3. Learn how to formulate philosophical arguments and questions.
|Type of course||optional|
|Semester/year||Summer semester 2021/2022|
|First name/family name of the person responsible for the course||dr Joanna K. Malinowska|
|First name/family name of the person responsible for the exam||dr Joanna K. Malinowska|
|Format||Lecture will be held in English online with usage of audio-visual equipment. Lecture will be followed by discussion|
|Basic and additional requirements||Skills in English|
|Number of ECTSs||2 ECTS|
|ECTSs summary||1 ECTS corresponds to 25-30 hours of personal studies focused on broadening knowledge based on suggested bibliography (vide bibliography list below).|
|Method of teaching||Lectures will be held using power point presentation and a multimedia projector|
|Method of evaluation||Oral exam|
|Prerequisite for passing||Positive score at the exam|
|– basic philosophical vocabulary and problems
– philosophy in practice – what does philosophy deal with today
– a dispute of empiricism and rationalism
– philosophy of physics vs philosophy of biology – two different paradigms and their scientific consequences
– philosophy of medicine: reductionism and anti-reductionism
– the problem with reference classes: on the example of using the category of race in biomedical research.
– introduction to bioethics
– the category of fairness in biomedical research
|Presentation of each lecture in PDF format
Bibliography related to each lecture
|Bibliography||Will be suggested later|