The Director of the Institute of Human Genetics, Polish Academy of Sciences in Poznan (IHG PAS) announces an open competition for the position of an assistant at the Department of Cancer Genetics (DCG) of the IHG PAS
The competition is open to persons who meet the conditions set out in the Act of 30 April 2010 on the Polish Academy of Sciences (Journal of Laws of 2016, item 572, as amended) and the Regulations for conducting competitions for scientific positions at the Institute of Human Genetics, Polish Academy of Sciences in Poznan.
I. General information
- Institution announcing the competition: Institute of Human Genetics PAS.
- City: Poznań
- Position: assistant
- Discipline: medical sciences
- Number of vacancies: 1
- Planned remuneration: 4 700 PLN/month gross
- Deadline for document submission: 15.04.2022
- Address to which documents should be submitted: personally or by post (stating “assistant DCG”) to the Institute of Human Genetics PAS, 32 Strzeszyńska street, PL-60-479 Poznań or electronically to the following address: email@example.com putting “assistant DCG” in the title.
- Link: http://bip.igcz.poznan.pl/konkurs/.
- Key words: head and neck cancer, classic Hodgkin lymphoma, plasma cell myeloma, microRNA, siRNA, shRNA, CRISPR/Cas9
- Department / Team in which the candidate would work: Department of Cancer Genetics IHG PAS
- A concise description of the scientific research in which the candidate would participate:
The research is aimed at assessing the role of selected proteins and microRNAs in cancers, mainly in hematooncologic diseases. An analysis of the role of proteins – selected in proteomic analysis – in the process of acquiring resistance of plasma cell myeloma cells to selected drugs will be carried out. The first step will be to confirm the changes in the level of accumulation of these proteins in a drug-sensitive and resistant cell line. Then, using genetic engineering tools – genome editing with CRISPR / Cas9 – inactivation of the gene encoding the selected protein will be performed, and the effects of this change will be analyzed using functional tests. The conducted research also includes the analysis of potentially oncogenic functions of miRNAs in classical Hodgkin’s lymphoma (cHL). After silencing their expression in selected cHL cell lines and inducing their expression in cell lines derived from normal germinal centre derived B cell lines (GCB), functional analyzes will be performed to show changes in cell viability. Then, the interactions of the selected miRNAs with mRNAs will be examined using the AGO2-RIP-seq technique combined with global proteome analysis (LC-MS / MS) and the obtained results will be confirmed experimentally using a reporter assay.
II. Requirements for candidates:
- PhD degree in the field of medical sciences
- Knowledge and skills in the field of genetics and epigenetics of solid tumors and blood cancers, molecular biology techniques (including PCR, RT-qPCR, Sanger sequencing, Western Blot, flow cytometry), practical knowledge of genetic engineering techniques (gene silencing, cloning, plasmid vector designing) and cell culture (including cell transfection and transduction, functional analyzes designing and performing), analyzes of biological data are required.
- Research track supported by publications in international scientific journals in the discipline of medical sciences in the field of cancer genetics.
- Experience in writing grant applications and leading scientific projects for young investigators.
- International internships/trainings and documented international cooperation.
- Fluent knowledge of English in speech and writing.
- The ability to publicly present the results of scientific research in Polish and English
- Independence, high motivation for work in science, problem solving.
- Ability to teamwork.
- Organizational achievement.
- Taking up work at the Institute of Human Genetics, Polish Academy of Sciences as the primary place of employment.
- The candidate may be invited for an interview and to present results of his scientific achievement.
III. A list of documents that the candidate should attach to the competition application:
- An application for employment with an address and contact details (email, telephone),
- A scan or a photocopy of the university diploma,
- A scan or a photocopy of a degree
- A scan or a photocopy of a scientific title diploma (if applicable),
- A list of publications, in particular from the last 5 years of the candidate’s scientific work (after accounting for deduction of breaks in scientific work), list of patents/ patent applications, implementations or implementation projects (if applicable),
- Information on number of citations (without self-citations), Hirsch index and the number of years effectively worked in science (after deduction of breaks) (if applicable),
- Number of research projects (also application ones) manged by the candidate or in which the candidate was the PI/ main contractor together with 1-3 main publications as project results or other measurable results of the project (if applicable),
- At least one opinion of an independent researcher, who is a specialist in a given field described in the announcement,
- A self-presentation containing information about scientific interests, current achievements, participation in research projects and description of own research projects, not exceeding 3 500 printing characters (max. 1 A4 page),
- Consent to the processing of personal data of the Candidate for the purposes of the Competition, (available at: http://bip.igcz.poznan.pl/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Zgoda-rekrutacja-Consent_for_the_processing.pdf ),
- Candidate’s statement about getting acquainted with the Regulations for conducting competitions for scientific positions at the Institute of Human Genetics, Polish Academy of Sciences in Poznań. (available at: http://bip.igcz.poznan.pl/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Oswiadczenie_regulamin-Statement_Regulations.pdf),
- Candidate’s statement that, in case of winning the competition, the Institute of Human Genetics, Polish Academy of Sciences in Poznań will be the main place of employment. (available at: http://bip.igcz.poznan.pl/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Oswiadczenie_miejsce_pracy-Statement_place_of_work.pdf)
IV. Criteria for the evaluation of candidates
- Creativity measured by the quality and number of scientific publications in which the candidate is the first author, corresponding author, or significant author, and patent applications / patents and / or implementations,
- Mobility in scientific career (including academic internships, change of scientific profile, internships and work in industry),
- Number of citations of the candidate’s works, especially those in which the candidate is the first author, corresponding or significant author,
- Creativity measured by the quality and number of research projects,
- Opinion of an independent researcher (R3),
- Experience in laboratory work,
- Expertise in medical biology, including cancer genetics
- Motivation to work in science,
- Good command of English,
- Any breaks in the scientific work and indicated achievements of the candidate converted into effective years of scientific work.
V. Announcement of results
Up to 30 days from the deadline for submitting documents. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview. Each of the submitted candidates will receive individual information about the results of the competition in relation to their person. Information on the winner of the competition will be provided on the Institute’s website.
VI. Planned employment: from 01.05.2022
VII. Information on the possibility of appeal of a candidate who has been negatively evaluated by the competition committee
Candidates who have been negatively evaluated by the Competition Commission have the right to appeal against the results of the assessment. The appeal is submitted to the Director of the Institute within 7 days from the date of receipt of negative feedback from the selection board. The decision of the Director of the Institute is final.